Wednesday, October 4, 2006

5 October 2006

More on Discipleship from Dietrich Bonhoeffer.

What is said about the content of discipleship? Follow me, walk behind me! That is all.

We will pick up with what comes next tomorrow. As for now, this is enough...maybe too much. Follow me!?! How quickly I want to ask what that means...what will be the cost...how much of the way things have been will I be able to continue doing...etc? And yet, there is never a time for discussion after Jesus says, "Follow me." In fact, when there are questions and doubts and debates, Jesus is already moving on and those who do not take the step...walk behind him are...missing out on the journey within the Reign of God. What we want to hole onto to...all of us...no matter how big or little it may be...is hell compared to the promise. I find this beyond my comprehension. And yet, that is the point!!! This way of Jesus is beyond our comprehension otherwise we would simply receive it as teaching and argument and rules for change rather than something new - like being born again...an odd image.

Connection: Whose leading the way today!?

Come, Lord, Jesus, lead us through this day and into the experience of the unfolding of your Reign. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment