Monday, February 11, 2013

Redeemer Devotions for February 11, 2013

Today starts some reflections on God as lasting. I have several reasons. First,

in a conversation about what we (clergy) do for self-care I brought up this simple

devotion. For 14 years it has helped to bring focus and a sense of imagination to

a life that I once was seeing as worthless. Second, I'm writing this on Saturday,

February 9, that means the folks at Redeemer have put up with me for 27 years. God

has provided them with a sense of humor that seems to be lasting.



As the Church Year continues to spin, it always reminds me that we can rise up in

the morning and say 'here we go again.' Today - as was the case yesterday and will

be the case tomorrow - we have the opportunity to begin our lives within the expansive

embrace of God's love for us. For me that means baptism and the simple dripping

of water and the profound promise that there is no day in which our God will be

gone from my side. God as lasting means that even as I sit perplexed by life and

thinking that I am not capable to be a follower of Jesus in this day - this lasting

God sustains me - holds me - pinches me to remind me that I am beloved of God and

that creates possibilities for life that I am not yet able to see completely. That

promise lasts. It is the same promise handed to all the saints who faced great evidence

that their lives would not and could not continue. And yet, God as lasting is the

word that cannot be overcome by the evidence of the day that may shout out a contrary

word. Again this day - this week - this month - this year - and into every moment

of our lives, God's promise is enough to see us through all our days - even into

the next moment that can frighten us and make us think we must turn around. God

as lasting does not merely shape us for now, it will be the power that creates

a character that makes each of us a part of a living witness to God's promise for

life.



O God of love and new life, we know that this can be one hell of a day. That is

enough to discourage us and make us fold up our lives. And yet, by the power of

your Holy Spirit, we hear that dripping of water and your words of promise that

already words to lift us up into new life. We praise you, O God. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment