Monday, February 18, 2013

Redeemer Devotions for February 18, 2013

God as character



I am not sure what this will become. What I do know is that I can swing from being

a complete butt-head to being a pious sounding oaf - and some may say both sides

of the swing look and sound the same. My point is simply that I count on God as

the shape of what I can be - my character. When I hear that I can be a character,

I'm not immediately offended. My question is: What does that mean? Does it mean

that I act and speak in a way that may be contrary to the prevailing winds? If so,

I'm amused and grateful. God makes characters who take seriously what God promises.

That character is one that can be called strange and even out of place. Between

being a butt-head and an oaf, God still is there embracing me and shaping me into

someone who will put forth the character of God's Reigning presence. God as character

pulls at us so that within the bounds of our normalcy - as crazy as that may be

- the attributes of our God will be seen by others. This could be why I have always

appreciated the image of the saints of God being the clowns of God. Just a bunch

of oafs and butt-heads who have been caught up into the inspiring Spirit of life

that is always bringing a bit of the Reign of God to life even when it is not appreciated

and even when it looks like utter foolishness.



O God of love and new life, you alone are Holy and you raise up a Holy people who

are able to bring to life your image even as we continue to be seen as odd - oafish

- butt-heads. We give you thanks for using us to display the character of your Reign.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment