Friday, February 1, 2013

Redeemer Devotions for February 1, 2013

God as Light from which we turn.



Early in the morning when I go downstairs to move into the first moments of the

day, things are quite dark. And yet, living in the city there are street lights

that throw light into the rooms through which I walk. And yet, there are still patches

of darkness. I find the darkness to be peaceful. Light can be disruptive. Darkness

allows me to sit back. For some reason, that light and dark time of the day helps

me see that there are both sides to a good day. There are times when the light blinds

me like darkness. There are times when darkness allows me to see more clearly. There

are times when I turn from the light in order to get another perspective on what

is right in front of me. When I do that, am I turning from the light or am I simply

given a new way to look at what is so well-known? Not sure.



In the darkest of days - even the dark days I create for myself - I find that there

is always a space for insight and growth and transformation. If that is so, isn't

it good to enter the darkness deliberately at times - to turn from what has been

called light in order to see that which cannot be seen in the light? God as darkness

is for me like God as light - always bringing forth surprise and mystery and an

appreciation for all that comes and all that I must enter this day.



O God of love and new life, within the light and darkness of life, you are the Lord

of the day and the power for life that pulls us into your future. For this we once

again give thanks. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment