Thursday, January 31, 2013

Redeemer Devotions for January 31, 2013

God as Light



God as light shines out into that which is not yet - that which is coming at us

- that into which we are approaching in many and various ways. I remember driving

from Detroit to Cleveland in a fog that was so dense I could not see. I did not

even want to pull off the freeway because I was sure I would be hit by an oncoming

car. Then, within the dense fog there were taillights - a truck. It wasn't much

of a light but I kept my eyes on those red dots and kept moving forward. It was

probably the dumbest thing I have ever done in a car - but I didn't know how to

face the dense fog without this bit of help even as I was 'flying' through the fog.

I suppose this is how those mass car wrecks happen.



Sometimes, I find that God pulls me out into and through darkness - like those small

lights on that truck. I'm ready to ditch and pull off the road - but I am draw to

continue. God as light leading the way may bring some comfort but it is also risky

to go out beyond our sight. The light of God's Reign may be just enough to pull

us out of ourselves and move along the way of the Christ of God - but it is simultaneously

a journey that keeps us on the edge of our seats for we cannot be sure what is next

- just that light.



Eventually, the truck pulled off and up an exit ramp - I followed - there was coffee

and community of stuck people who ended up waiting for more light. I keep thinking

that I could have been killed out there. Yes, there is that part of moving out into

the dark - it may be the end of all things - or the beginning of something we cannot

see - yet.



O God of love and new life, lead on for we know not how to move through the darkness

alone. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment