Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Redeemer Devotions for January 21, 2013

As this is the week we remember the life of the follower of Jesus who is known to

us as Martin Luther King, Jr., I have been thinking about God as justice rolling.



When we are looking after the well-being of the other, we are looking to build them

up and honor them and hold them and - at time admonish them. That's right. Sometimes

we must say wait - not that. In that spirit, it is also part of the work of the

other to say the same to us. All of that is part of the work of justice within the

Beloved Community. There is to be no 'gotcha' in that admonition. There is no 'let's

get the bastards' in that admonition. There is no 'let's bring them down' in that

admonition. When there is such a motive, we have lost the wonder and beauty of the

power of God's love that seeks a just world and a healing of all things.



In some ways, this is why I know that I am not worthy to ever say that I am involved

in justice ministry. I too easily tear down rather than build up. I too easily forget

about the welfare of the other and seek the welfare of that which I condone and

want.



And yet, our God is the God of justice rolling right over us and carrying us along

for the ride. That is, God is always rolling into us with a love that will not let

us go and when that love will not let us go, Good God we must have that love with

us always. When that love is with us - always - we could say that God's power shapes

us - and when that power shapes us - we will be pulled to see the worth of those

we previously could only hate or ignore or avoid. So, even for me there is the

hope that the full image of God will be seen even within my life and you may be

the one that helps bring that out of me as I might do the same for you. I think

that is the rolling nature of God's justice.



O God of love and new life, keep rolling over us. Amen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment