Friday, June 13, 2008

Friday 13 June 2008

Today will be the last piece from Merton's chapter "Things in Their Identity."

Ultimately the only way that I can be myself is to become identified with God in Whom is hidden the reason and fulfillment of my experience.
Therefore there is only one problem on which all my existence, my peace and my happiness depend: to discover myself in discovering God. If I find God I will find myself and if I find my true self I will find God.

Could be nothing more than talking in circles...right?!? Then again, what's wrong with talking in circles when the circle leads us into a greater unfolding of who we are as created by the God who loves us and calls us to be stewards of life. Quite honestly, we are not able to find God. God is constantly revealing God's self to us. I may have all sorts of characters I attempt to be or characters I am fooled into saying are me...but our God continues to call forth the blessed one that is me. As I know our God as gracious and merciful and slow to anger and abiding in steadfast love, I am learning to know a bit about me. Too often the bit about me is rejected or ignored for something else about me...something I have been able to put together of my own doing. And yet...as we each touch the reality of our own lives and how we are grasped by God and shaped by God, there really is no power that can take away the true self that comes to life. It is the person God blesses and saves and empowers and encourages even as we are tempted to not listen to who it is God sees in us. Seeing God...seeing self - it all takes vision...and that, is a gift from God in the first place.

Connection: Looking in the mirror or reflecting on our lives is a first step in taking note about how expansive God's love is and what it creates everyday through us. Go take a look at God's creative work.

Lord of Peace and Grace, when you call us each by name we are moved to a greater understanding of how you view all your beloved. As we turn to face others, we see what you love and by seeing that, you pave the way for peacemaking rather than war - reconciliation rather than bitterness. We thank you, O God. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment