Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Tuesday 3 June 2008

So much time to consider who we are and who we will be. Merton reminds us that it is a journey...a vital and necessary journey.

We are at a liberty to be real, or to be unreal. We may be true or false, the choice is ours. We may wear now one mask and now another, and never, if we so desire, appear with our own true face. But we cannot make these choices with our impunity. Causes have effects, and if we lie to ourselves and to others, then we cannot expect to find truth and reality whenever we happen to want them. if we have chosen the way of falsity we must not be surprised that truth eludes us when we finally come to need it!

Have you ever caught yourself wearing a mask that is not you!?! It is not a pleasant thing for me. Part of what is so painful is that I have seen individuals who wear so many masks, I cannot be sure with whom I'm talking. That makes it difficult to trust. For me, the work at hand must be making sure that I am as authentic as I can be to who I am. In that way, it is my hope that a many-masked person whose real self is hidden or oppressed may see the joy in simply being God's Beloved. I know that I am always moved and inspired by those who are so naturally themselves and so gifted by being just that, that it makes me remember to do the same - live as the beloved of God that I am. It is not an impossible task. "We are at liberty, to be real, or to be unreal."

Connection: Have a real day today!

Spirit of Life, when you bring us home to ourselves, we are free to be beloved and not work to find some way to earn or gain that status. Remind us again of this gift you have handed us and the power of your Spirit that marks us for the life that will be ours to live. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment