Friday, June 6, 2008

Friday 6 June 2008

Continuing on with this image of creating ourselves with God - Thomas Merton.

We do not know clearly beforehand what the result of this work (to share with God the work of creating the truth of our identity) will be. the secret of my full identity is hidden in God. God alone can make me who I am, or rather who I will be when at last I fully begin to be. But unless I desire this identity and work to find it with God and in God, the work will never be done. The way of doing it is a secret I can learn from no one else but God. There is no way of attaining to the secret without faith. But contemplation is the greater and more precious gift, for it enables me to see and understand the work that God wants done.
the seeds that are planted in my liberty at every moment, by God's will, are the seeds of my own identity, my own reality, my own happiness, my own sanctity.

Whew! This can sound as though it is something out of our realm of reality. And yet, I would insist that this "secret" is the good news. It is the eternal word about us that brings life, liberation, renewal, and joy. It is the word of love that transcends all other words and therefore is the foundation upon which the fullness of life is before us ready to take on as our own. Don't worry about having to hear special "voices" passing off secret messages. The message is as bold as the incarnation...the angels singing to the shepherds...the first disciples stumbling into a new world because the Spirit makes that kind of life happen - ready or not - here it comes! How is it that we attempt to make so much of what God wants us to do? It is as though we are anxious about making up scorecards for ourselves and everyone around us. In that way, we can judge whether some make it or fail. The truth is more of a gift not a demand. If we were able to remain in the truth of God's creative voice, the gift would be the power that brings us life. Remember, before there was any law, there was the God who creates and redeems and rescues and liberates and forgives. Already the power for new life is available and we are now like seeds ready to burst into all that we will be.

Connection: What will you blossom into today?

Lord of the Future and Presiding Presence, how wonderful this day will be as we find within us the seeds of hope and life and love and grace that you have already placed in, with, and under all your beloved saints. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment