Monday, June 16, 2008

Monday 16 June 2008

This week we will move into a new section of "New Seeds of Contemplation" - Union and Division - by Thomas Merton.

In order to become myself I must cease to be what I always thought I wanted to be, and in order to find myself I must go out of myself, and in order to live I have to die.
The reason for this is that I am born in selfishness and therefore my natural efforts to make myself more real and more myself, make me less real and less myself, because they revolve around a lie.

A seed must fall to the ground and die... The ways we choose to build up our own lives are so often the ways the destroy us. This may be simply in the way we cover over the beauty that is already handed to us by our God. The maintenance of all the layers and coverings that attempt to hide but also attempt to build becomes a life task that does not give us time and space to become the one who is already beloved. Within the moment that we are able to pause and look around and not be concerned with what we must do but are able to appreciate the blessing we "are," we can smell the fragrance of new life meant to open up new gifts. This is not an easy exercise when we are working so hard to "make it" or make it all right.

Connection: What would come to life in us today as we find a space to rest and die and blossom?

Lord of Life, you already claim us and call us to be the ones who have been touched by your creative power. When we are impatient and unwilling to listen to the depths of your promises, it is not easy to feel your touch and your call to life. Settle our hearts that we may experience the wonder of life that is us. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment