Thursday, June 19, 2008

Thursday 19 June 2008

Today we will continue with the piece from yesterday.

The person who lives in division is not a person but only an "individual."
I have what you have not. I am what you are not. I have taken what you have failed to take and I have seized what you could never get. Therefore you suffer and I am happy, you are despised and I am praised, you die and I live; you are nothing and I am something, and I am all the more something because you are nothing. And thus I spend my life admiring the distance between you and me; at time this even helps me to forget the other people who have what I have not and who have taken what I was too slow to take and who have seized what was beyond my reach, who are praised as I cannot be praised and who live on my death...

I wanted to comment about the three dots at the end of this paragraph. The separation and the division never ends. In all of these examples of becoming an individual separate from others, I never become the person that is beloved of God. And yet, it continues. The dots go on to point to more and more lies that we trust rather than trust the promise of our God whose love is the creative power for life even as all else becomes worn and broken and is proven to be false. There is one God and yet we have so many ways of bowing down and handing our lives over to so many gods who we believe will make us into more than anyone else can be. What a hell to live in such a way....and yet we all go there...again and again.

Connection: A strange question for this day might be to ask how we are like the people around us...even when there appears to be great differences. How are we so very much like others and yet able to be truly the person God has created.

Holy God, in all of creation none is like me and yet I am not me unless I am also able to see me in others and to see them in me. Such vision keeps us out of war and helps us to be a part of the peace you have promised from age to age. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment