Friday, August 21, 2009

Friday Blog 3 ELCA Assembly

I thought I would comment about something other than the sexuality stuff. At worship today, the Presiding Minister spoke Arabic throughout the words of institution and the Prayer of Thanksgiving this was also the case when the Presiding Minister from a few days ago spoke these Words in Chinese. In both cases, I was overwhelmed. The catholic movements of that prayer and the holding up of the bread and wine and the gestures of welcome reminded me that we really are more than we think we are. It made me look around and observe how very different people respond within the action of the Eucharist. Very different piety. Very different ways to reverence. Very open body language. All quite good...this need not change as we move forward in the midst of our differences. The Lord of the Church is still the only power that makes us one.
amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment