Friday, March 1, 2013

Redeemer Devotions for March 1, 2013

God as eternal judgement - an opportunity to think about these words that cause

some folks to shudder with fear. If you have any comments - adebelak@redeemerluth.com [mailto:adebelak@redeemerluth.com]My mom always knew I was a bit odd. Through the years she could only keep thinking

that - I gave her much evidence. I'm sure she was never quite at rest when I went

out at night with friends. As a chaperone she once rescued my best friend when he

showed up so drunk at a school dance he could hardly walk. It was like watching

a living punch line: "He was so drunk, he". And yet, my mom embraced him - was able

to laugh - was able to keep him safe and secure and to get him home safely. No word

to his parents. She knew I could be having a night like that - and later she did

see that. And yet, she moved me into the next day as her beloved. That, was just

one lesson in forgiving and accepting love that provided freedom and not fear.



God as eternal judgment is like a mother who can hold us close when we smell like

fools. In the face of our foolishness and shortcomings, we are judged as beloved

and we will always be sent off with a word of unbounded, eternal love. I often

think of my mother when I attempt to imagine the eternal nature of God's judgment.

I need to do that. The judgment of myself is not as gracious as our God whose judgment

is the power to bring new life - even to me in the midst of my foolishness.



O God of love and new life, shape us and send us. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment