Thursday, June 20, 2013

Redeemer Devotions for June 20, 2013

This week: God as lavish. If you have any comments - adebelak@redeemerluth.com [mailto:adebelak@redeemerluth.com]So often in gift giving I will go with what I can afford. Sometimes that may mean

I go a step below what would really be wild and extravagant. God as lavish goes

all the way. Even in a statement like "I will be with you till the end of time."

Really?! I find that to be lavish action. This means in and through all the times

when no one will stand with me and the times when I really deserve no one to stand

with me because I am knot-head. And yet, God as lavish remains and keep pulling

me into a life in which I will see how wild and extravagant I can be - with my loving

- my giving - my presence - my vulnerability - my availability. This life is not

lived in order to have this lavish God give me more. Rather it is in response to

God as lavish - God as fully available beyond expectations - God as foolishly present

even when it means facing something like the cross for being unconditionally with

us. That is God as lavish - I can only imagine that kind of God - that is why I

sometimes need foolish stories from Scripture and parables and simple actions like

Baptism and the Lord's Supper.



O God of love and new life, as you remain with us and for us continue to inspire

us to walk within your image of grand hospitality. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment