Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Thursday 27 March 2008

Here is an interesting piece by Gandhi as he looked back at his life.



I claim to be a votary of truth from my childhood. It was the most natural thing to me. My prayerful search gave me the revealing maxim "Truth is God" instead of the usual one, "God is truth." that maxim enable me to see God face to face as it were. I feel Him pervade every fiber of my being.



After reading this several times, one little light went on for me. If we say "God is truth," we must first come to an understanding of what God is. We need only look around at the overall variey of expressions of God and we will see just as many impressions of God. When we are all honest with ourselves, it would be my bet that all of our expressions of God - even those we hold so dear - are less than truth. The God of Christian Nationalism is not the God I would call God. The God of the Nazi Regime would not fit either. The God of some aspects of liberalism would also not fit the bill for me. When we are left to fashion who God is and then we claim that our God is truth, how do we enter into an honest and vulnerable dialogue with those other than us. It seems as though we would be very much tied to our God as the way of truth...and that would get in the way of real dialogue. But if we sit at the table and press on for truth without making it fit into the way we have shaped or the way we perceive our God, we may find ourselves in the presence of a real sense of the God who is more than "my" God or "our" God...but rather, God in the fullest.



Connection: We are called to come together with our guns ready for battle on behalf of what we consider God. We are always called together to faithfully contemplate what is truth and how that truth can be among us in the midst of the power of this day.



Open up our hearts, O God, that we may continue to be open to the ever-expanding way that you enable us to see what is the way of truth in this day. When our hearts are open, there is always the opportunity for new vision and hope. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment