Thursday, May 16, 2013

Redeemer Devotions for May 16, 2013

This week: God as a new born. If you have any comments - adebelak@redeemerluth.com [mailto:adebelak@redeemerluth.com]I remember when my daughter was born. One of the first things I did was exactly

what a nurse said I would do. I reached out with one finger and touched her face

- her head - her neck. It was like I was drawn into the newness of that life and

I knew how fragile it is and also how much we need to be touched by one another.

God as a new born is that desire to touch with hands and lives and voices and emotions

- those who are so vulnerable. It is then that we will be pulled into contact with

all others. God as a new born is the power that overcomes any distance between us.

Last week when I held that baby I noticed how I kept touching and stroking the top

of her head. Even when we had a prayer, I laid my hand gently on her head and continued

to lightly stroke her head during the prayer. I find that same kind of energy when

we move through the healing rite in worship each month. The two hands laid upon

a person head - the two hand placed on the upper back by another. We are drawn into

each others space to heal and comfort and hold. The distance is meant to be eliminated

then - and always. God as a new born is full of an invitation to heal and bring

life.



O God of love and new life, remind us to be a witness to the sweetness of your Reign

that is revealed in those around us. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment