Thursday, May 30, 2013

Redeemer Devotions for May 30, 2013

This week: God as fire. If you have any comments - adebelak@redeemerluth.com [mailto:adebelak@redeemerluth.com]How many crispy coatings can you make from one marshmallow? Let the outside brown

or burn - peel it off - do it again - do it again - until that soft center is just

too small to use another time. Yes we get burned in our lives. In many and various

ways we get burned-up, burned-out, set on fire, even totally consumed - at least

we think. But there is always some little bit of sweetness left. God as fire always

sees the sweetness that is at our center. That is the beloved one - that is me and

that is you. No matter what has happened or how we have had to face the fires of

our lives our God as fire always sees something left - something worthy - something

delightful. I would have to agree with Pope Francis - even sweetness in the atheist!

Yes. I find that something to grasp and never let go. Through all the fire that

I think does me in or makes me turn away and run or simply drip off the stick into

nothing - there is our God as fire who has a love for sweets - that is you my friends

and me. Our core never changes - it is what our God always sees - and always will.

This is the truth that goes beyond our bias knowing - our preferences - our idolatry

- all that stuff that can be burned off to expose the beauty of God's beloved children

- all of us.



O God of love and new life, I am so thankful that you see in the midst of the burning

stuff around me and the goo within me - a beloved child. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment