Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Redeemer Devotions for May 28, 2013

This week: God as fire. If you have any comments - adebelak@redeemerluth.com [mailto:adebelak@redeemerluth.com]Fire can hurt. When I'm lighting a candle at home and I have to hold the match as

I long as can because I don't want to waste another match - I want to be in control

- I want to be successful - I just want to do it, I often hold onto to what I want

just a moment too long. Ouch! God as fire is not out to burn us. God as fire is

handing us the power to turn and face a new life. Let go! God will supply another

match - things do not have to go as we want them to go. God as fire does not hurt

- our holding on too long is what hurts. We do it to ourselves. God as fire keeps

beckoning us to come and follow and live a new life but as long as we hold on to

the way we think is best, we may find that things get all burned up and we are

left with nothing. That, though, is not true. For when it appears as though all

things are burned up - God begins to help us see what is now about to come to life.

Before the fire, we may have been so involved in holding on to what is and what

we want - we are not able to see the fresh and vibrant life that comes after some

things have been burned off.



O God of love and new life, by the power of your Spirit of new life set us on fire

and let your glory shine among us like a lamp that brings your love to light in

the world. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment