Monday, December 9, 2013

Redeemer Devotions for December 9, 2013

Adventures... in Hope - Redeemer Devotions 

This week: God as an encouraging hand. If you have any comments - adebelak@redeemerluth.com .

 

Once again I told someone this week that I am basically a coward. I can easily go along with the crowd - and I have. God as an encouraging hand is the only way I can explain why I do not always go along with the crowd. God as an encouraging hand is the God who extends a hand that pulls me into a future I may not have been willing to enter. This is the God whose hand is placed upon my back to say that it is time to get up and act. God as an encouraging hand knows how to laugh and be foolish and take the risk to enter into the whole enterprise of life beyond my imagination. I don't always like to step beyond my self-made boundaries. Personal comfort is too often too enticing. God as an encouraging hand is an understanding hand that will only lead me into the fullness of my - not others. That is quite important. God as an encouraging hand may take Pope Francis out on a limb - but this same God will not take me out on a limb measured by others. At the same time, God as an encouraging hand will take me out on a limb that stretches me so that I will see the life that  is within reach of me.

 

O God of love and new life, it is so important to know that you will be the source of encouragement that will help each of us to move more deeply into the life of your Reign.   Amen.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment