Monday, August 12, 2013

Redeemer Devotions for August 12, 2013

Adventures... in Hope - Redeemer Devotions 

This week: God as evolving. If you have any comments  - adebelak@redeemerluth.com.

 

I was not so sure I would go in this direction this week. The mere mention of something 'evolving' can make some folks wiggle and squirm in their seats. So, to comment on God as evolving may bring our shouts of condemnation - or applause. And yet, I think back at how I have perceived God throughout my life. Even though I have changed in how I speak about God and think about God, I don't think God has changed. God as evolving may be the dynamic that is taking place when I am open to see God differently. God as evolving is not something to be feared. Rather, God as evolving means I am not in control - I do not have possession of the knowledge of good and evil - I am not God. God as evolving introduces me to the God who keeps stretching us and renewing us and shaping us so that what I thought I controlled so well - may not be the way things are to be. So God as evolving has to do with the way the future keeps opening us up to the expansiveness of God's love that - though we try to contain it and own it - keeps refreshing life with new vision and new directions.

 

 

O God of love and new life, how will things evolve this day as we are caught up within the whirlwind of your Grace? Let it blow upon us, O God. Amen.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment