Monday, October 20, 2014

Redeemer Devotions for October 20, 2014

Adventures... in Hope - Redeemer Devotions 

 

The Reign of God as blessed remembrance. If you have any comments - adebelak@redeemerluth.com .

 

The Reign of God as blessed remembrance is how we are held together over time and nurtured to continue on the way and expect only to be a part of blessed witness of God's beloved. Last week I was sitting and working at a coffee shop (imagine that) and in walked a man whose face I thought I recognized. He wandered by and was simply checking out the place. I spoken up and in a hesitant voice said, "Grayson?" He turned in response. I introduced myself in case he didn't recognize me. He said that I've changed my hair style - then he noticed my ponytail and said, "I guess not." This is for me one of the saints of today that has stood up against all the odds and boldly took his church (United Methodists) in a direction they would not go on their own. He is one of the lead figures in the longtime work of making sure all of God's children are welcome even if the institution says 'NO'. The Reign of God as blessed remembrance keeps us grounded in the lives of ordinary people who stepped up and spoke up and did not let the world of today quiet the eternal word of God's boundless love - even when in so doing they lose ground with some folks. Grayson slipped out of the coffee shop and continued on his walk. It is then that I almost burst out in tears. I wanted to stand up and tell the handful of people in the room that we were just visited by a bold witness of God's Reign - a saint whose resistance against what is has allowed many to become born anew. Whew. What a blessed remembrance that brings with it the power to continue on the way - even when no one notices anymore.

 

O God of love and new life, thank you for ordinary saints who disrupt the world with your love alive.  Amen.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment